Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Idol Top 5: How Do You Keep the Music Playing?

Full disclosure - after an afternoon of drinking in the name of networking, I listened to a number of these performances with my eyes closed. But this will give me a better indication of the cds that I will eventually purchase, so I think it was a good experiment. Plus, it has kept me from being too hungover this morning. So there you go.

MatthewsMayerMraz - "The Way You Look Tonight" - Love it. Love the look, love the song, love the performance. But I don't love the leadoff position. It shows the producers don't really think he has a chance. But I hope he proves them wrong and dark horses it up like Kara predicted.

OBSERVATION #1 - Couldn't they have gotten Michael Buble or Harry Connick or something as the mentor? Sure, Jamie Foxx played a convincing Ray, but his music is definitely in the R&B camp. Plus, he's kind of a douche (but he likes MMM, so I can't totally hate him).

Charo - "Someone to Watch Over Me" - At the risk of sounding like Randy, girl, you can sing. And this is the first time I really saw it. It wasn't quite the Kelly Clarkson "Stuff Like That There" revelation she needed to make it to the finals, but it was still download worthy. And if Barefoot Potbelly can get a record deal, then I think Charo will have no problems. Points for the cuteness of not having a boyfriend, and wondering if you should say that on tv or not. Presh.

OBSERVATION #2 - Special shout out to the stylist - Allison had an awesome look and awesome hair - now that Lo isn't around asking for a new weave every week, they obviously have more time to spend on everyone else. The suits all rocked too. Even Wicked's.

Dueling Fedoras - "My Funny Valentine" - This is one of my favorite songs of all time. But I don't get why Foxx suggested lowering the key. Or why Paula agreed that it was a good plan. Because those low notes were not pretty. And why why WHY didn't you play the piano? This was your week to shine dude, and you blew it.

OBSERVATION #3: Seriously, Paula?

Dead Wife Downey Jr. - "Come Rain Come Shine" - Hold on. I'm busy watching my video of McPheever singing this song a few years ago. What? I like it better. Even though this was fine...it's all turned a little Taylor Hicks-ian for my liking. And you know how I feel about the person who took my McPheever down.

OBSERVATION #4: They're really not letting this go, are they? And did everyone read their TV Guide? Simon actually calls for a DWD victory over Wicked, 55% to 45%.

WickedRaverSiriano - "Feeling Good" - Again, Wicked decides to bust out a cover of a cover (thanks, Muse) - but at least this one was not as poor as the wretched Indi-Cash Ring of Fire (and for sure better than last year's semi-finals one-two assualt on Nina Simone and Michael Buble). Maybe I nodded off, but I don't recall any screaming. Still too many unnecessarily high notes, but no screeching. It's a nice change - I'm still not buying your cd though. Or seeing any of your shows.

SHOULD GO: Dueling Fedoras

WILL GO: Fedoras or Charo. Both make me sad. But it's getting down to the wire.

TONIGHT: Foxx and Hicks. Man, I bet that dude has been waiting for this day to come for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment